Pages

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Proxy



London, Alex. 2014. PROXY. New York: Speak.

Happy new year! I decided it was high time that I get myself back into the reading and blogging habit.

It took me a looooooong time to finish Proxy. It's yet another book set in a not-so far-off future that is less than perfect. In this future, the rich pay off the debts of the poor. The poor then become proxies, or substitutes for their patrons. The proxy stands in for the patron whenever they are deserving of punishment. 

The patron in this story is named Knox, and his proxy is Syd. Since childhood, Syd has been enduring beatings, shocks and all sorts of other punishment because of his patron. Knox is a quintessential spoiled rich kid, and a rather naughty one at that! Some proxies are luckier than others in that their patrons don't misbehave as much. Syd is not so lucky. 

Knox steals his father's car and crashes it - killing his passenger, a young teenage girl. Syd is captured, branded and sentence to life in a horrible work camp. However, Syd decides that he is done being someone else's whipping boy and decides to escape the horrible fate he's now been given. By coincidence, he runs into Knox after he escapes, and the two discover that they have more in common than they thought.

I could never really get in to this book. It is full of high tech gadgets and biostreams and robots, but none of that impressed me much. I found the characters to be flat, and frankly, not very likeable. The plot dragged and took too long to get to the climax of the story. The author also kept changing point of view, which I found distracting.

I think boys might really really like this book. However, I'm reading a romance book next!

Happy reading!
Mrs. Cox

No comments :

Post a Comment

 
Header Background Designed by Freepik